Friday, May 25, 2012

Cycles of Hibernation



I cut myself off from the world. I admit it. I do. Madame Wiki states that 'hibernation is a state of inactivity and metabolic depression in animals, characterized by lower body temperature, slower breathing, and/or lower metabolic rate.' I go through these phases in my life when I need the frenetic activity of constant stimulation and adventure and then deep-into-the-woods of my private space to hide, think and percolate. This repetitive behaviour, I know, annoys people; my acquaintances and co-workers, but for those who know me best, they allow this burrowing to happen organically, realizing I will re-surface with more work to accomplish, more ideas to announce - more of my art to give the universe. I didn't even truly understand or grasp this involuntary choice to disappear that is part of me until the last few years.  During this time I don't want to share or talk or be accountable for anything or anyone.  I feel a beckoning, a whisper, a nudge to create - to write, to paint, to photograph.  If for some reason I am unable to slip away inside to hibernate sour things begin to happen in my world.  The kind Madame Wiki goes on to say, 'Hibernation may last several days, weeks, or months depending on the species, ambient temperature, time of year, individual animal's body condition, and fur on the animal's body.'  It is not a suffering as such, it's a journey I must take over and over and over again in order to fulfil my life's dreams, visions and gifts.  I think I might be going there right now.  Forgive me. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...